Our Family

Our Family
Liberty, Heather, Glade, Ryan, Kim

Monday, January 5, 2009

Kartchner Caverns

One of the things I planned to do while in AZ was visit Kartchner Caverns. My Mom and sister Tara and her daughter, Karleigh, came with us, as well as my Aunt LeeAnn.

The caverns were pretty interesting. According to the guide, Kartchner Caverns are in the top 10 in the world for color. I also thought it was interesting how warm it was in there. There goes the accepted idea that caves are cool and damp. Both of the kids were unhappy about the warmth and humidity until I let them take off their shirts. They did a lot better after that.

Two amatuer cavers found Kartchner Caverns on some property owned by the Kartchners. They didn't think it was much at first, but as the explored it, they decided it was really important to save this cave. They kept it a secret for a long time, like 10 years I think before they told the owners about it. They decided the best thing to do would be to get it turned into a State Park. They tried hard to keep it a secret so the caverns wouldn't get messed up. I would pretty well. The caverns were gorgeous and it was a really fun outing.


Kim with the "Mickey Mouse" cactus she found.


No photos allowed inside, so this is as close as you get.


The group of us after lunch and before our tour.


Kim checking out a cactus.


Glade just plain being cute!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I can't believe how much Glade has grown! We are super excited to see you next week!!!!