Our Family

Our Family
Liberty, Heather, Glade, Ryan, Kim

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary

I tried my hand at an Alaskan garden this year. It seemed to work really well. Turns out up here you aren't really safe to plant things in the ground until June 1st. I started quite a few little things in small containers, then transplanted them to the garden, which was prepared by my Visiting Teacher's husband. It was awesome that they did that for me! I also planted some things straight into the ground. We are reaping the harvest now. I have only ever had a square-foot garden, so it has been really fun and exciting to get quite a bit more produce than a small garden provides. Most of what we have harvested has been snap peas, regular peas, and a few little tomatoes thrown in.



Kimberly smelling some fireweed. She told me she looked like she was covered with dew. Actually, she was running in the water spraying out of the hose.


Glade is washing one of his peas in the hose.


Kim was trying to fill up her bowl with peas. Getting there!


Even Libby was getting in on the action, although I think she enjoyed eating the dirt more than the peas!

2 comments:

Marisa said...

What a wonderful garden! How long is the harvest? When does Autumn come and the frost kill your tomatoes, etc? I am glad you get a big garden. How adventurous that is! Are you going to can a lot of stuff from it? I never did get to try your pressure canner. I'm planning to just dehydrate most of my stuff. It's easier.

Mindy said...

So glad your garden has worked well on your first try! Enjoy the fruits of your labors!