Our Family

Our Family
Liberty, Heather, Glade, Ryan, Kim

Saturday, November 29, 2008

On This Thanksgiving, We are Thankful For . . .

Birthdays! Happy Birthday Ryan!

The greatest guy around! Here is at Yellowstone last summer.



Ryan's birthday was the day before Thanksgiving and we had a good time. I found this recipe I really wanted to try for a cake, and it turned out yummy. You have to understand, Ryan usually asks for pumpkin pie for his birthday (a true November-born man :)). Last year he changed it up by asked for pecan pie. This cake was kind of a mixture of the two. It is called Praline Pumpkin Torte and I thought I would share since it was so good. By the way, I didn't make any other desserts!


Praline Pumpkin Torte (Taste of Home)

3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/3 c. butter
3 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
3/4 c. chopped pecans

Cake:
4 eggs
1-2/3 c. sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
2 c. canned pumpkin
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Topping:
1-3/4 c. heavy whipping cream
1/4 c. confectioner's sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
Additional chopped pecans

1. In a heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and cream. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour into two well-greased 9-inch round pans. Sprinkle with nuts; cool.
2. For cake, in a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar and oil. Add pumpkin and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, pie spice, baking soda and salt. Add to pumpkin mixture and beat just until blended. Carefully spoon batter over brown sugar mixture.
3. Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes of until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool complete.
4. For topping, in a small mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
5. Place one cake layer praline side up on a serving plate. SPread with two-thirds of the whipped cream mixture over cake.
6. Top with second cake layer and remaining whipped cream. Sprinkle with additional pecans if desired. Store in the regrigerator.

Ryan is a great husband. He is fun to be with and I really appreciate his love and friendship.


Ryan at dental school graduation last June with Peter and Austin. We're so proud of you!


Ryan climbing Mt. Ellinor. He loves to hike and bike. He is a good motivator for me to stay in shape.


With his medal after the Mud Run on Ft. Lewis in July.


Ryan is a great Dad. He sometimes has more patience with the kids than I do. Here they are at the beach this last summer.


Other than that, we just had a nice, quiet Thanksgiving here at home.

7 comments:

ryan.abbott.dds said...

That cake was one of the best I have had. We had another chocolate cake I thought was great (from work), but after Heather made the praline cake I never got around to eating it again.

This was one of the best birthdays I have had. I sure enjoyed spending the evening with Heather, Kim, and Glade. Thanks for being the best mother and wife, Heather. You are the greatest!

Look what a fun year we had :) This has been the best year of our marriage -- it just keeps getting better!

Sharlee said...

Don't you love Taste of Home? They have some yummy recipes! Remember your bridal shower forever ago at the little blue house? I skipped out on the middle of my Accounting finals review to go to it :).

Mindy said...

So glad you enjoyed your birthday cake, Ryan! Hope the rest of the day was good, too! Love you guys!

Jeremy.Celeste said...

That cake looks good. Can you please send me your address so I can send you a Christmas card. jc_brownfamily@yahoo.com Thanks.

Jason and Amanda said...

Wow! That cake looks amazing! I'll have to try it soon! Thanks for the recipe!

Jessie and Byron said...

I just tried that receipe, it was really yummy, thanks!

Becca said...

You could always "rock" the kitchen! I think it's fun to have Thanksgiving b-days...now there's one more too...beautiful Stephanie Dawn! I'm glad your Thanksgiving was a good one :)