Our Family

Our Family
Liberty, Heather, Glade, Ryan, Kim

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Laying up in store

This week I have been super busy following the counsel of the prophets. Our ward ordered in bulk tomatoes, peaches, and pears. I have been preserving. I chopped/sliced and froze a box of tomatoes and two boxes of peaches. Let's just hope the power doesn't go out! I also spent all of Friday canning pears. I only got through 2 of my 3 boxes before I ran out of quart jars so I am making fruit leather with the last box. My mother will probably gasp in dismay since she never did it this way, but I canned them sliced with the peels on. The thought of peeling hundreds of pears did not appeal to me (no pun intended) so I left them on. If we can't stand them, we'll take them off before we eat them. I ended up with 37 jars.

Anyone who has ever done any canning should know what I mean when I talk about how much pride you feel when you look at a sight like this.

It is a lot of work, but for me it is fulfilling. Hmmmmm, almost apple season and as we all know, Washington is famous for apples. Apple pie filling, applesauce, more fruit leather, the possibilities are endless.

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Good for you, Heather! Scott and I have been doing a little of that, too, but with peaches and strawberries - all in the freezer, though, since I don't think I could handle canning in the heat with no air system of any kind working... =)

They're beautiful!

Marisa said...

I love pears with the skins on! They're my favorite. I admire your work ethic, and your organization. How did you manage to do all that?

Misty said...

Seriously - I am really impressed. I love to stock up my freezers, but have never attempted canning. Great job!

Jenny said...

I'm totally impressed, you are amazing! I was wondering if I could get your bread recipe from you. I hope you guys are good, we miss ya!

Jenny

Kim said...

I'm jealous. I haven't been able to find cheap enough produce here to do that and since I haven't grown my own, I'm out of luck. It would ahve been fun to do that together!