Our Family

Our Family
Liberty, Heather, Glade, Ryan, Kim

Friday, October 10, 2008

Small Town Life

Have I mentioned on here before that we live in a pretty small area? Well, not as small as Duncan, where I grew up, but pretty small. Lately I have enjoyed some benefits of small town life. I went to a class at the gym on Monday. One of the ladies there, Annie, (also in our ward) was asking someone else about doing applesauce. This other lady told her that I was the canner. So she asked me about it. Another lady, Bridget, (who I don't know) overheard us talking about sauce and jars and other things. She said she had some jars in her attic that she didn't need. I was asking about a place to pay to pick apples. Bridget said she had a friend with some trees and she would ask her about it. So the next day Annie shows up with four boxes of quart jars and a map and phone number of a lady with apple trees. I called her up and we went over and picked apples that night. She had about 6 trees and said she was done with them and we could have whatever we wanted. We picked 5 boxes in about an hour. She was super nice and even came out and took some pictures of us since we forgot our camera. She told me she would send the copies to the gym with Bridget. She also said to come back if we needed more and to send anyone else that wants apples over. So that was incredibly nice of her. I figured that I would pay at LEAST $40 and probably more for this many apples at the place we used to pick in Columbus. Ahhh, small town life, where people you don't even know are nice and offer things you need!

So I spent Wednesday helping Annie can applesauce for the first time at her house and Thursday I found a great deal on jars at a thrift store in a town 5 miles away that is even smaller than Yelm. I also put up 42 quarts of applesauce and am only half-way through with my apples. I'm taking the day off today to do some city shopping and help get Ryan ready for his training next week, then we'll hit it again tomorrow and hopefully finish off the apples.

Can I just say again that I LOVE SMALL TOWNS!!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Good for you! That's awesome, Heather! I totally understand what you're talking about! I kind of miss that here sometimes, although I do have some good friends who are very willing to share and give. We kind of trade back and forth sometimes, but nothing like this... =)

Monica said...

I often envy poeple who get to live in small towns. i miss it every now and then...sometimes I am sure I would give up the conveniences of the Phoenix to live somewhere a little more like "home". Hope your apple sauce is yummy:)!

PS does Mindy have a blog? Would love to say hi to her!

Kim said...

I'm sooo jealous.